Pairings: Douglas Green Pale Cream Sherry No 1
- 1kg fresh black mussels: scrubbed and bearded
- 1 shallot: finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic: crushed
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 beef tomatoes: halved and crossly grated, skins discarded
- 1 cup DG Pale Cream Sherry No1
- 3 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley: chopped
- salt: for seasoning
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and sauce the shallot and garlic for about 5 minutes, over a medium heat.
- Add the grated tomatoes and cook covered for a future minute or two.
- Discard any mussels that do not close when tapped, add them to the saucepan, together with the sherry.
- Turn the heat up high, and cook covered for about 5 minutes, or until the mussels start open.
- Turn down the heat to low, sprinkle with a pic or two of salt, and the chopped parsley. Re-cover the saucepan, and cook covered for a further five minutes, shaking the saucepan now and then to move the mussels or until the mussels are fully open. At this point, discard any that have not opened.
- Spread out on a platter, and dress the sauce.
- Enjoy with a glass of Douglas Green Pale Cream Sherry No 1.